Article by BBC News
The amount of money paid was not disclosed but was paid over the past few weeks and months.
The payout came two years after the families launched a legal action.
Earlier reports that all cases had been settled have since been denied, with one law firm saying it still has claims outstanding, which the MoD confirmed.
In most cases several family members are making a claim, and in some families not all relatives have settled with the MoD. Cases relating to three servicemen have yet to be concluded.
The amount paid out so far was said be in the region of £15m, according to the Mail on Sunday newspaper.
An MoD spokesman said it passed on its "sincere condolences" to the families of those killed in the 2006 incident, and said compensation had been paid to help "ensure their future financial security".
"When compensation claims are submitted, they are considered on the basis of whether or not the Ministry of Defence has a legal liability to pay compensation. Where there is a legal liability to pay compensation we do so."
A spokesman for law firm Balfour and Manson, which represented members of 12 of the families, said compensation could "never replace a loved one" but provided some financial security.
Another law firm said family members of two of the victims were continuing civil claims for compensation, with two trials due to take place later this month and next month at the High Court in Edinburgh. Read More...
Accident Injury Claim